Sunday, August 8, 2010

Flying Summer




Summer seems to be flying by. Never enough time to get everything done I want (NEED) to do. I just have to figure out how to make it last much longer.

My golf game has been slowly improving lately (back to playing in the 40's for 9 holes, again anyway.) Hope I can keep it up. Yesterday my golfing partner, Barb and I, really smoked the two couples we were matched with at a club event (who contained men, by the way- we were the only two women playing together). We only played 9 holes, however, as we didn't know until we got there that it was an 18 hole round and both of us had other plans that we couldn't break for later in the day. I'm not even sure exactly what our score ended up being, but we parred the first three holes , plus one or two others and bogied most of the others. It was "alternate shot" play and we both just happen to be on. It was fun to have things going well (for a change).

We had a big old fashioned thunderstorm in the middle of night last night, with lots of loud boomers and close lightning strikes. My little dog, Claire was a bit nervous, but actually handled it quite well. Today, I think I may try to do some fishing, as the waters should be adequately murky. Also, I have to can up the batch of Christmas pickles that I've been working on all week. They're a family favorite. Last night I finished up a big canner of sweet gherkins, also a 6 day process, and earlier in the week I put up about 20 quarts of dills. My larder had gotten low on these and I'm expected to supply them for lots of functions. (You know I love to do it though).

I started working at my friend Gracie's truck farm again, for a couple of months, sorting and cleaning tomatos, and other vegetables for 3 or 4 hours a day. I'm glad to be able to help her out. Sounds like she wants me to do some canning for her as well, as she never gets time to put up any of there produce herself. It's a big operation. Between pickers, sellers, hoers, dairymen and wholesale people, they must have around 20 emplyees on their farm this time of year.

I've been camping with my grand kids - a long and exciting story I really need to tell another time -, fishing, swimming, kayaking, gardening, hiking, picnicing, golfing, babysitting in Georgia and La Crosse, entertaining and reunioning my way through the summer. You know, trying to cram a whole year into three months. It's been great though. I'm still waiting for my roofers to come and put on my new garage roof and once it cools down, I need to do more painting on the house, shed and garage, though I don't think I'm up to tackling the whole house on my own. I do have shutters to put up, but am hoping to snag someone to help me with that project, if nothing more than to hold them in place while I install them. I need more hands.

Friday I helped cater a friend's 50th wedding anniversary, lot's and lot's of people and food, but it came off really well. I am working on our area's Triathalon in a couple of weeks (another of my "projects"), visiting the "Tall Ships" expo in Green Bay in a couple of days, and heading to watch the National Waterski Show next week. Lot's of fun stuff coming up.

Hope you're all well,happy and enjoying this lovely summer.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the golf! You will have to try some winter golf in Arizona to keep your score up :)

    ReplyDelete